Pune Municipal Corporation is the first Urban Local Body in the Country to take up implementation of the Eco â€“ housing Programme developed by Science and Technology Park. The Pune Municipal Corporation (PMC) recognized the importance of promoting sustainable housing practices in the city. Pune is the first city to implement the Eco-housing program implemented with the support of United States Agency for International Development (USAID) by the Science and Technology Park (Scitech Park) and its technical partner International Institute for Energy Conservation (IIEC). Taking the lead to promote and sensitize people about this concept PMC has set up a dedicated Eco â€“ housing Cell.
The Pune Municipal Corporation would like to encourage developers to adopt the Eco-housing assessment criteria to certify the environmental performance achieved by their residential projects as it believes that Eco â€“ housing is an innovative approach towards conservation which will help free resources for investment in other sectors and facilitate utilization of government funds more efficiently.
Science and Technology Park, to start with for Training and Capacity Building of stakeholders on Eco-housing Measures (88 criteria totaling to 1000 points) has developed training modules for policy makers, developers, architects, and consumers. Science and Technology Park has Designed and Printed Eco-Housing Brochures in two languages â€“ Marathi and English and circulated almost one lakh brochures to all the PMC ward offices for distribution to create awareness and promote eco â€“ housing and enlighten developers to implement Eco â€“ housing Certification.
As a part of our programme we have undertaken the following activities for PMC:
- Periodic review of the Eco-Housing criteria by taking feedback from stake holders.
- Conducting awareness and Eco-Housing Training Program.
- Facilitating Eco-Housing program implementation.
- Handholding PMC as well as developers for effective implementation.
- Advising PMC as and when required.
Science and Technology Park has conducted extensive training program for PMC officials regarding the eco â€“ housing certification programme, mechanism, criteria, intent, submission requirement, objective, various building construction rules like National Building Code, Energy Conservation Building Code, Development Control Rules, Incentive Structure, During and Post Project Monitoring, Technical Sessions on Environmental Architecture, Site Runoff Calculation, Daylight factor Calculation, Lighting Power Density , Solar Water Heaters, Sewage Treatment Plant, Rainwater Harvesting, Financial Implication of Each Measure, impact of each measure across the value chain etc.
This programme interventions include integration of Eco â€“ housing policy and fiscal incentives, capacity building and the setting up of a sustainable institutional mechanism to mainstream eco â€“ friendly and energy efficient construction practices.
The whole exercise has been done in order to sensitize, orient, educate and capacity building among the implementers/policy makers in the corporation who would be setting guidelines and awarding incentives based on the eco â€“ performance of a project and to promote this performance assessment tool which will help quantify environmental achievement of a building and provide meaningful differentiation of buildings in the market place.
- Education regarding sustainable building practices, materials and technologies available for construction industry.
- Training stakeholders for implementing Eco â€“ housing criteria and make them realize need of urbanization and the demand for resources, reducing load of municipal infrastructure including water supply, waste water treatment and solid waste management.
- Education, Training, demonstration and promotion activities based on market development approach which will encourage entrepreneurship and help create a market for eco â€“ friendly products and services.
- Sensitize Orient, Educate and Capacity Building among the implementers/policy makers in the corporation to scale up and mainstream energy efficiency and environmental friendly housing.
- Handhold Urban Local Bodies to understand, frame polices, make necessary changes in the development control rules and implement sustainable construction practices.
- Promotion of sustainable building practices and energy efficient and eco â€“ friendly local building materials.
- Make people aware of this innovative approach towards conservation that will help free resources for investment in other sectors and facilitate utilization of Government funds more efficiently.